Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cult of Print




Everyone needs to start from somewhere.

And whether or not that means starting from scratch, or starting from day one of freshman year in Drawing I Class... You live, you learn, and you try really hard not to forget what you've learned!
For me; Art school taught me about the people who took HUGE chances and the origins of art. The ‘art history’ and the artists who took those chances have brought the creative world to where it is today. Now that I know the history behind the Modern Contemporary Art, I too can break the rules down, to help keep the ever-lasting art scene alive.

Westby.

In Westby, ‘Our Classroom is NOT a Lounge’. It was a gathering point of inspiring minds and INCREDIBLY gifted people. That’s what we as artists do, we collaborate. We bounce ideas off of one another. We suffer the same ups and downs of the art world together as a whole so we don’t have to do it alone. It was my perfect little world. Wake up go to class, share inside jokes during lunch, studio before afternoon classes, studio all night, sleep on couch in art building (Westby), and Repeat.

Although, I must admit I found that I struggled at Westby to find my own originality. And once I graduated and was unfortunately forced to move back home, I then found my raw, natural talent come alive. My sketchbook was finally filling quickly with raw material that was my own and not myself forcing to stick to the guidelines of another class assignment! AND that is a glorious moment for any artist. I called it my breaking point.

No comments:

Post a Comment