Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caught on Itself in the Process of...

GROWTH: Self Portrait

(detail of drippy tree roots)

So this is/was my first screen print in a long while and I am so pleased with it. This is the start of a long beautiful relationship with screen printing... When I first learned to screen print (like 3.5/4 years ago, it def wasnt a medium I was a fan of, I just couldnt registrar to save my life... ha ha. In fact, I was often frustrated with it. Lino-cutting was my strength. Only problem with lino-cutting is it takes forever and until I can figure out a newer way of re-inventing lino-cuts and its same boring, OVER DONE subjects (aka cut outs of buildings, landscapes, and people OR abstract shapes).
Getting back to this print, it shows myself as the deer. I see the deer as a gentle, secret spirit of the woods. I picture myself a lot as a deer. Its my way of being apart of my art. It also depicts my spiritual journey from when I was lost and disappointed with the direction of my art to my own acceptance of my artist career to make art for myself. To put my happiness first and to make art I like.
This Print is EXACTLY that. The deer stopped for long enough on its journey through life where her legs have started to grow together as the trunk of a tree. The roots are a droppy mess and even caught two unexpecting birds in the same process. My art is narrative. It never has an exact, perfect registration, but like my art I have grown to love that about my work. NOTHING IS EVER PERFECT IN LIFE, THERE ARE ALWAYS SMALL THINGS THAT WILL ALWAYS BE OFF. And thus, is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment